Today’s post is part 3 of a 10 part series: 10 Problems with Perfection
Call it what you will, BUT….if you “worry, stress, fret” over which you have no control you are ANXIOUS! Life is too short to worry about things out of your control. Think about it logically, it makes sense. Everyday you are fortunate enough to wake up you get to chose the direction of your focus. Let’s get real practical for application’s sake:
- You chose what time to set the alarm; you chose whether or not to honor it!
- You chose what time you leave for work; you chose what route to take.
- You chose what you do on your lunch break; you chose lunch or workout or sleep (or whatever you do!)
- You chose your activity once work is complete; you chose dinner or workout or sleep!
These are all normal activities of everyday life and should not cause anxiety…DUH!
Now, lets consider a few things with which you have no control over YET, I SPECULATE THAT YOU OCCASIONALLY WORRY ABOUT:
- You do not chose to slip into a deep sleep that prevents you from somehow missing your alarm clock; embrace the fact that you just had one heck of a good night’s sleep!
- You do not chose the traffic patterns on your way to work; if you run into construction or a wreck that is out of your control.
- You do not chose to engage in a minor emergency at the office that prevents you from taking your lunch break; relax and take a deep breath. Be thankful that you were needed and called upon to alleviate the emergency.
- You do not chose for your boss to ask you to work late; but once again be thankful that were needed.
What I’m getting at here is that peace is a much better alternative to anxiety. You will enjoy life better at peace and will live longer to share your experience with those you love the most. Sure, problems arise and they are not fun to deal with but you do chose whether or not to worry or go with the flow.
Perfection causes anxiety because it requires the impossible…You choose anxiety or peace; I’m going with imperfection and peace.
After all, its only a matter of time before you realize you are not perfect!